Palud was at first a freshwater swamp. In 1906 the Austro-Hungarian army connetecd the swamp by a 200 meters long channel with the sea. In order to increase the salinity and thus prevent the development of mosquito larvae, the main transmitters of malaria.
This was not very successfull, but the brackish water created an ideal environment for the mullets and eels. Palud is also the habitat for a large number of (rare) birds.
Coordinates: 45.02795 N – 13.70133 E.