The mines are located in the valley of the river Mirna on a hill named Minjera near Sovinjak. They started here with excavations of the puritanic bauxite in the 16th century. In 1780 a Venetian Pietro Turrini built here a plant for processing bauxite into sulphuric acid and alum that was used among other for tanning leather. The mines were closed in 1856.
Place: Sovinjak – (Buzet)
Coordinates: 45.38628 N – 13.92662 E to 45.38971 N -13.93498 E